Ways to Get Rid of Bad Breath
Halitosis, or bad breath, can be embarrassing and lead to anxiety about what your co-workers, friends, family, or romantic partner think. If you are struggling with bad breath, there are options available. At Distinctive Dental Solutions, our dentists can provide you with a dental check-up and cleaning and help you to understand your options for managing and treating halitosis. Reach out to us today to get started.
What Causes Bad Breath?
Many different things can lead to bath breath. Sometimes, bad breath is temporary and a result of food recently eaten; other times, bad breath is a sign of a more serious oral health condition. Common causes of bad breath include:
- Recently consumed stinky foods, such as onions, garlic, alcohol, salami, pastrami, cheese, and certain spices.
- The medical condition called dry mouth, which results in a lack of saliva being produced to neutralize acids and wash away bacteria.
- Poor oral hygiene and oral health, including tooth decay, cavities, yeast infections, and gum disease.
- Medical conditions, including diabetes, chronic acid reflux, respiratory conditions, allergies, kidney problems, and more.
Is Bad Breath a Sign of Bad Oral Health and Hygiene?
Bad breath can be a sign of a bigger issue, either related to one’s overall health or related to one’s oral health. If bad breath is chronic, it may be because of gum disease, cavities, tooth decay, or another oral health problem, such as poorly fitting dental appliances.
How to Get Rid of Bad Breath
If you are concerned about bad breath, there are a few things that you can do:
- Brush and floss your teeth regularly
- Use a mouthwash or oral rinse to get rid of bacteria
- Avoid common foods that lead to bad breath (see list above)
- Get treatment for medical conditions that can lead to bad breath
- Prioritize good oral hygiene
- Treat dental issues and schedule regular dental cleanings with your dentist
Temporary fixes for bad breath include chewing gum or using mints. However, be careful about choosing brands that contain high amounts of sugar, as consuming sugar may only exacerbate the problem. Opt for sugar-free!
Call Us Today
If you are suffering from chronic bad breath and aren’t sure what to do or what your options are, call our dentists at Distinctive Dental Solutions today. We can perform a dental check-up and assess for common causes of bad breath, including cavities and gum disease. Reach out to us today by phone or online to get started.