How to Make Your Dental Crowns Last Longer
When teeth are damaged and start to decay, it’s critical to seek dental care fast to prevent further deterioration. One solution for treating damaged teeth is the placement of a dental crown. To learn more about dental crowns, when they’re used, and how to make a dental crown last longer, call Distinctive Dental Solutions today. In the meantime, here’s an overview of what you should know—
What Is a Dental Crown?
A dental crown, sometimes called a dental cap, is a tooth-shaped cap or shell that fits over the entirety of a damaged tooth. The crown looks and feels like a natural tooth, and is most commonly made from a composite resin or ceramic material. The cap is placed over a damaged tooth to protect it from further decay or deterioration, thereby providing both functional and aesthetic benefits. The crown will restore the shape, size, and appearance of the tooth.
Crowns are used when a tooth has been damaged as a result of decay, injury, or deterioration over time. Crowns may also be used to hold a dental bridge in place or cover a dental implant.
Tips for Extending the Longevity of Your Dental Crowns
One of the best things about dental crowns is that they don’t require any special care. Instead, merely exercising good oral hygiene is all that’s needed to protect a crown. Tips for extending the longevity of your dental crowns include:
- Brush your teeth regularly, at least twice a day if not after every meal
- Floss regularly, which means flossing at least once a day before bed
- Avoid hard and sticky foods that could damage the crown, such as biting down on popcorn kernels
- Remember that your overall health and lifestyle choices impact your dental health—maintain a healthy diet, watch sugar intake, avoid smoking, limit alcohol, and exercise regularly
- Schedule regular dental cleanings and check-ups to maintain oral hygiene and mitigate problems before they start
Cosmetic Dentistry & Dental Crown Services in Indiana—Call Distinctive Dental Solutions Today
A dental crown can be a great option for someone with a damaged tooth who wants to restore the look of their smile and protect a tooth from future damage. At Distinctive Dental Solutions, our dentists can guide you through the process of a dental crown placement, as well as answer your questions about recovery time and caring for a dental crown. To learn more about dental crowns and other cosmetic dentistry procedures, reach out to our team by phone or online today to get started.