Five Causes of Sleep Apnea and How We Can Help
Living with sleep apnea can be frustrating, scary, and exhausting—sleep apnea may prevent you from getting the rest you need and could contribute to other health problems. At Distinctive Dental Solutions, we offer obstructive sleep apnea treatment options that work. Reach out to us today to learn more about the common causes of sleep apnea and how we can help.
What Is Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is one of the most common sleep disorders. When a person has sleep apnea, they start and stop breathing multiple times throughout the night. Not only does obstructive sleep apnea prevent someone from getting a restful sleep, but it can also lead to snoring that impacts a partner’s sleep, as well as a range of related health complications.
5 Causes of Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea can be caused by a range of different lifestyle factors, genetic factors, and health complications. Some of the common causes of sleep apnea include:
- Being overweight. Being overweight is the number one cause of sleep apnea. In fact, more than 50 percent of adults with obstructive sleep apnea are overweight or obese. The risk of sleep apnea goes up six times for a 10 percent gain in body weight.
- Narrow throat. Having a narrow throat, which is something that a person is born with and cannot control, increases the risk of sleep apnea.
- Smoking. Smoking can lead to respiratory complications that increase the risk of sleep apnea. Smoking can also lead to a variety of other health complications.
- Alcohol and drug use. Using alcohol or drugs may increase the risk of respiratory disorders or/and obstructive sleep apnea.
- Certain medical conditions. In addition to the above, certain medical conditions, such as allergies, asthma, respiratory diseases, and congested upper airways can all increase the risk of sleep apnea.
Note that the risk of sleep apnea is increased for those who have one or more of the risk factors listed above. Lifestyle changes may help to alleviate sleep apnea.
Get Help from Distinctive Dental Solutions
If you are suffering from obstructive sleep apnea, our team at Distinctive Dental Solutions wants to help. We will work with you and your doctor to make lifestyle recommendations—such as quitting smoking or losing weight—as well as explore various treatment options, such as oral appliances. To learn more about your options for dealing with sleep apnea, make an appointment with our team by calling us directly today or sending us a message online. We are here to help you improve your health and get the sleep you need.