Dental Cleaning: What Does it Involve?
Going to the dentist on a regular basis is something that everyone should do. Most people should see the dentist at least twice a year for a regular dental cleaning; those who have any oral health concerns may need to see the dentist more frequently. If you haven’t gone in for a dental cleaning in a while, you may have questions about what to expect or what the cleaning entails. Reach out to us directly to learn more.
What to Expect During a Dental Cleanin
A dental cleaning is one of the most straightforward and routine dental procedures. Here’s what you can expect during a dental cleaning appointment:
- Your dentist will start by performing a physical exam of your teeth. The physical exam will be looking for signs of gingivitis and other concerns.
- Next, your dentist will use a scaler to get rid of tartar and plaque on the teeth. This builds up over time.
- Once tartar and plaque have been removed, your dentist will brush your teeth using a specialized brush and a gritty toothpaste that helps to remove any remaining tartar and plaque, and also polishes the teeth.
- Next comes the expert flossing. Your dentist will take the time to get between each tooth.
- Once the above is complete, your dentist may recommend a fluoride application.
Who Needs a Dental Cleaning?
If you think that a dental cleaning isn’t for you, think again! Everyone should have their teeth cleaned, usually at least twice per year. If you have any dental issues, such as gingivitis, you should talk to your dentist about whether you need to come in more frequently.
In addition to regular dental cleanings, you should be practicing good oral hygiene daily. This means brushing at least twice a day, but after every meal if possible, as well as flossing at least once per day—right before bed is ideal. Also try to limit sugary beverages that can lead to cavities.
Schedule Your First Appointment with Distinctive Dental Solutions Today
If you haven’t been to the dentist in years, now’s a perfect time to start. To learn more about what to expect during a dental cleaning and why a dental cleaning is so important, reach out to our dentists at Distinctive Dental Solutions directly today. We are accepting new patients and can answer any questions you have about the process. Contact us by phone or online to get started.